2009-01-19

Ongoing issues with OpenSuSE Interfaces

Narrowly missing the prime slot, KDE has bought the dust at last - with the [long-awaited] update to the KDE4 libs, the end was in sight - infrastructure rapidly disintegrating like a shatter of translucent glassine user space fluff.

Hmmm. Well, perhaps when it comes out of beta it will be worth another look.

The GNOME thingy, now. There's one that is worth some additional looking right now. The first major 'bug' I found was somewhat trivially solved, I think. It had something to do with 'gnome-settings-manager' software not being started, or not being able to start. All the information I found on the problem just seemed wrong (talking about deleting configuration directories and rebooting - yeah, I know, /rebooting/ ... under /linux/ yet... sheesh) anyway - I found out that if I just ran the program it seemed to actually run. The trick was that it - the program - the binary for this so-called 'gnome-settings-manager' is in an a place both ODD and WEIRD - a place called '/usr/lib/gnome-settings-manager/' - note that this is a place name only, and not the truename of the widgit)

The other interesting thing about this programita is that it does not run as root - that's right, friends, under this new, blue version of GNOME privacy/security/policy of True and Good and Just Governance, root doesn't get the $DISPLAY. So take /that/ all you big mean corporations...

In short I say to you my fellow ... uhm. Yeah. I say to you: just run the settings manager under your own UID at the shell prompt, or even at the Alt-F2 box. You lives will be easier, and the world a more Peaceful and User-Friendly place.